Some simple steps make OpenOffice snappier.
- Go to Applications > Office > OpenOffice.org Word Processor
- The OpenOffice.org Word Processor is launched. Go to the Tools menu and select Options.
- The Options window is opened.
- Highlight Memory on the left panel, change the setting as shown below.
- Reduce the number of Undo steps to a figure lower than 100. Adelstein suggests 20 or 30 steps.
- Under Graphics cache, set Use for OpenOffice.org to 128 MB (up from the original 6MB).
- Set Memory per object to 20MB (up from the default .5MB).
- Set the number of objects under Cache for inserted objects at 20.
- Check OpenOffice.org Quickstarter.
- Now highlight Java on the left panel, uncheck Use a Java runtime environment
- Click the OK button and close OpenOffice.org. Start it up again to experience the change in speed!